A nice and spicy “lasagna”. Don’t forget to start by soaking the almonds in water at least 8 hours in advance. Then, for a whiter sauce, remove the almond peel, or, like me, let it stay on.
Makes a lasagna 25 cm by 25 cm
150 g green lentils, cooked
1 aubergine/eggplant, thinly sliced (about 3-5 mm slices – use a mandolin)
A bit of olive oil
½ white onion, chopped
½ small garlic clove, crushed
1 green pepper, chopped
1 zucchini, diced
½ red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
400 g canned chopped tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp lime juice.
300 ml soaked almonds (should be soaked about 8 hours)
100 ml water
50 ml almond milk (unsweetened)
½ tsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp lemon juice
dash of salt
1. Oven at 200C. Slice the aubergine thinly, spray (coat) with some olive oil and sprinkle some salt on top.
2. Roast the aubergine slices until brown (about 15 minutes)
3. In a pan, boil the lentils in plenty of salted water for about 20 minutes.
4. Sautee the onion and garlic until soft but with no colour
5. Add the green bell pepper and the zucchini – sautee for another few minutes.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes. Simmer a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Add the cooked lentils and remove from heat.
8. Stir in the lime juice.
9. Take a few spoonfuls of the sauce and spread on the bottom of an oiled lasagna casserole.
10. Lay a layer of roasted aubergines, then another layer of the sauce, continue the layering and finish by a layer of sauce.
11. Bake in oven 180C for 15 minutes.
12. Make the almond cream by combining all ingredients in a blender and then running until smooth. The cream will not be completely smooth, though, (unless you change the almonds for cashews).
13. When the lasagna is ready, serve with the cream and some parsley on top.