Quinoa, Grated Veggies, Plums and Kale
This is a typical fall recipe, using many of the goodies from the garden. I love the multicolored quinoa, both for the look and the texture, but, of course, any quinoa will work in this recipe. The dish is full of colours and taste. Can be served on its own, or, deliciously with some grilled halloumi cheese.
250 ml quinoa and water according to manufacturer’s instructions
1 leek, thinly sliced
¼ of a head of kale, torn into thumb size pieces
200 ml roughly chopped plums
1 small red chili, seeds removed, finely chopped
Pinch of salt
1. Cook the quinoa as per instructions on package.
2. In a frying pan, heat the oil and fry the kale. Remove.
3. Fry the leek until soft, add the plums, chili and salt.
4. Return the kale to the pan.
5. Combine the vegetables with the cooked quinoa.
2 small grated beet roots
2 grated carrots
½ large red onion
½ stalk lemon grass
50 ml loosely packed coriander leaves (cilantro)
Salt and pepper
Cooking oil of choice
1. Rinse the grated beets in cold water, combine in a bowl with the grated carrots
2. Slice the onion thinly and add to bowl.
3. Remove the outer layers of the lemon grass, crush a bit by hammering the stalk with the back of a large chef knife, chop finely and add to bowl.
4. Chop the cilantro and add
5. Add the spices.
6. Heat a generous amount of oil in a large frying pan and spread the veggie mix in a thin layer.
7. Leave to fry a few minutes over medium heat, turn and fry another few minutes.
8. Empty pan onto a layer of paper towels (to soak up some of the oil).
100 ml loosely packed coriander leaves
100 ml spinach leaves
50 ml olive oil
• Run in small food processor/mini prep until smooth.
¼ head of kale
Pinch of salt
1. Tear the kale into large pieces.
2. Fry in a pan a few minutes.
Serve the kale, veggie mix and quinoa on a plate and drizzle with coriander oil.