Sometimes you come across the most beautiful carrots in several colours. Take the opportunity of this and make a Carrot Salad. Soften the carrots a bit with this marinade and serve as a starter or as part of a main course. Beautiful, simple and delicious.
3 different coloured carrots
100 ml olive oil
100 ml white wine vinegar
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper
Basil to decorate, cut into chiffonade (thinly sliced)
1. Using a peeler, shave long thin strands of the carrots. Reserve the remaining carrot “blocks” (the part that is too small to shave any more strand from).
2. Whisk the marinade. Combine all strands of carrot except for the dark coloured (the colour might bleed and stain the others) and pour the marinade on top, saving some for the dark coloured strands which should marinate in a separate bowl (again, to save the colours from bleeding). Refrigerate.
3. Now take the remaining carrot “blocks”, cut into small pieces (brunoise) and again, keep the dark coloured apart. Add some lemon juice and set aside in the fridge.
1. Plate the strands and the brunoise of carrots in a fun way. Now is OK to combine the dark colour with the lighter, they won’t bleed too much.
2. Sprinkle the basil on top and serve as a starter or as a side.