This starter really has it all; it’s sweet, it’s spicy, it’s sour and it has crunch!!
My garden is overflowing with plums so I try to create as many varying dishes with plums as I can. This is a layered sweet potato dish that can be served with or without a spoonful of Greek yoghurt.
1-2 large sweet potato, peeled
1. Heat oven to 205 C
2. Slice the sweet potato (you need 3 slices per person)
3. Coat with olive oil and sprinkle some salt on top
4. Bake in oven for about 30 minutes
75 ml cut up (pitted) plums
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
• Gently fry the plums in the oil. If you, like me, have sweet plums, add the vinegar. If the plums are really sour, add a few drops of agave instead.
75 ml shelled pistachios
100 ml loosely packed basil leaves
½ tablespoon lemon juice
1,5 tablespoon olive oil
Pinch of salt
1 clove crushed garlic
½ tsp chili flakes
Plus some extra basil leaves for decoration
• Combine all pesto ingredients in a mini prep and run until well combined but still chunky (crunchy).
• Start by drizzling some plum mix on the plate, then layer the sweet potato, plum mix and pesto with three layers of each. Decorate the plate with some drops of juice from the plum mix and some basil leaves. Enjoy.