Deliciously crunchy and flavourful. To be enjoyed as a starter or a side dish. My very favourite recipe!
Pickled Red Onion:
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
75 ml white wine vinegar
100 ml sugar
225 ml water
50 ml olive oil
large bunch parsley
10 medium sized potatoes, peeled and finely grated
Salt and black pepper
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
400 g mixed mushrooms (Portobello, chanterelles…), sliced
1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil (for frying)
1 tablespoon cognac
4 tablespoons (dairy free*) crème fraiche (based on oat, soy…)
Lettuce (Rosso), sprouts and broccoli stalks
1. Start by preparing the onion. Whisk together the vinegar, sugar and water until the sugar is completely dissolved. Place the onion slices in a jar and pour the vinegar mix on top. Cover, shake and let sit for at least 1 hour.
2. Run the parsley and oil in a blender. Let sit for a minimum of 30 minutes and remove solids with a sieve before serving (drizzle on the plate).
3. Squeeze the starchy water out of the grated potato and season. Then fry on medium heat in a little olive oil. Create thin patties, 2 per person. In the frying pan, press down and flatten the patty but do not move until one side is done (2-3 minutes). Can be made ahead of time and heated in the oven (180 C, 10 minutes) before serving (will also ensure the patty is nice and crisp).
4. Slice the mushrooms and fry over medium heat until all water has evaporated. Add the cognac and cook until it has evaporated. Add the “crème fraiche” and stir until heated through.
5. Layer the rösti, lettuce, mushroom mix, sprouts, another rösti and top with the pickled onion. Drizzle the plate with the herbed oil and add some broccoli.
* There are many ways of making your own dairy free crème fraiche, if you can’t find a good ready-made option. It is important to add lemon and nutritional yeast in small increments (while tasting) so that they don’t become overpowering.
1) Silken Tofu, blended with a dash of lemon juice and a little nutritional yeast gives the soured cream taste. For obtaining the right texture, add some almond milk.
2) Soak cashews overnight, rinse and blend with a little almond milk, lemon juice (and a small amount of nutritional yeast).