Mango ceviche can be served on its own as a great starter, or here, as part of a light meal. The pine nuts and cucumber provides some crunch to this fruity/spicy meal.
1 small broccoli head (crowns only – save one piece for decorations)
200 ml white quinoa
Vegetable broth to cook the quinoa in
50 grams of parmesan cheese, grated (or a vegan alternative)
½ fresh mango, cut in small pieces
½ fresh red chili, seeds removed and chopped into very small pieces
2 limes, juice
1 lime, zest
Dash of salt
½ cucumber, peeled and seeds removed, cut in small pieces
1 spring onion, finely chopped
75 ml fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Optional – 1 diced avocado, makes for a fuller meal
Little gem salad
100 ml toasted pine nuts
1. Cook the quinoa in the broth
2. In a food processor, pulse the broccoli crowns until “rice like”
3. When quinoa is done, take off heat and add the broccoli and the cheese, put a lid on and set aside. Add some pine nuts (keep some for the decoration).
4. Combine the ingredients for the “ceviche”. (add the avocado, if using)
5. Serve the ceviche in gem lettuce with the quinoa on the side.
6. Cut some thin strips of the reserved piece of broccoli and, for an interesting effect, place them on top of the quinoa as an up-side-down tree.
7. Decorate with chili flakes, pine nuts and lime zest